Blame It On the Books

Fangirl. Bibliophile. Cake lover. Homestucker. Sherlockian. Sophomore Student. Crazy. Demon Hunter. My house is Slytherin, my faction Erudite and my God-parent is Apollo. Oh and this is where I write my reviews. Duh.

The 5th Wave (The Fifth Wave, #1) - Rick Yancey “How do you rid the Earth of humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.”Rating: 4.5So many positive reviews, a $750,000 marketing campaign and a movie deal later, I just had to get myself a copy of The 5th Wave. This book was hyped up like nobody's business, but there were a couple who didn't think this book deserved the hype and I can see why. Still, I enjoyed this book immensely, but I will point out some of the negatives because maybe The 5th Wave really is just riding on the hype of many.Let's start with characters. I liked Cassie; she was badass, kickass, snarky--basically you have a really feisty chick. But as the book progressed, my love for her kind of lost it's way. Most of the story is told from her POV, so eventually I started dreading her chapters because after a while I felt like she was just trying to be everything she was in the beginning. But I do love her resolve and devotion. She had me rooting for her, even if I didn't really like her that much.On the other hand, there is Zombie. I was really confused when the POVs changed because Zombie is never mentioned in the synopsis. But I definitely enjoyed his chapters more. He made me feel what was happening and for the characters. His personality in itself got me hooked in to reading his chapters; his chapters were overall very entertaining and high-paced.The book was written in a way that made me lean on the edge of my seat. There was so much action, that sometimes I had to read a paragraph or two again. And you can always feel tension; you can feel the impending doom that is just above the character's heads.Now, I'm going to point out the negatives. There was a bit of insta-love going on. On both sides. For Cassie, it was Evan; for Zombie, it was Ringer. I didn't mind Evan and Cassie so much because my brain works in a weird way, but I don't ship Zombie and Ringer. The story also felt like it was trying to be unpredictable and shock and surprise the readers. But once I got a new piece of info, I was like 30 pages ahead of the story. The predictability kind of hindered me liking this book fully. But I thought the ending was a perfect way to start a series.I think that's all I really have to say. The 5th Wave really was riding on hype because even though it was a enjoyable ride for me, it wasn't as amazing as I thought it would be. Maybe, like every other hyped-up book out there, you have to get an opinion for yourself.

The Complete Sherlock Holmes